Thursday, October 12, 2006

Persuasion
The first book that I've finished is Persuasion by Jane Austen. I originally wanted to read it when it was mentioned in a movie I watched recently "The Lake House". It sounded kind of interesting and it's been years since I've read any Jane Austen. Actually, next to Pride and Prejudice, I think it may only be the second Austen novel I've ever fully read. It took me a little while to get into it, the pacing of novels written 200 years ago is just not the same. Once I got all of the characters figured out, it flowed nicely and I really enjoyed it. It had the typical happy ending that all of her novels have, and all the ends were tied up neatly. The main character's family is so easy to dislike, they're petty selfish snobs who only care about one's class and title. Austen was obviously making a comment on the silliness of such people, as she protrays them so negatively. A good solid read. A-

No comments: