Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Read Aloud Handbook By Jim Trelease

Every once in a while I read a book that inspires me to change the way I do things. This is definitely one of those books and I highly recommend it to all parents. I've always thought we were pretty good about reading to our kids, and both Katherine and Caroline have fairly large vocabularies for their age, but it's stumped me that although she loves being read to, Katherine doesn't particularly care to read. Why is that? Well Trelease's book has given me a new prespective on things, and I'm so glad I bought it. I've implemented a nightly ritual where both the girls can read 15 minutes after being put to bed before I turn the lights off. Trelease's idea and it's working great. I've also started reading to them even more, even Ben too, though he get different kinds of books. We read for probably a good 45 minutes to an hour broken up thoughout the day. I think this has already made positive changes in our family, and I love reading to them as much as they like hearing it.

No comments: