Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I guess this blog should really be called "What Kristin Has Read" since I wait until I finish something before I post about it. I was reading The Road before I read Harry Potter 7, but some things take precidence, and HP is one of them. Anyhow, since I finished Harry, I went back to the Road and finished it up as well. I liked it. It was an interesting story, about the relationship between a man and his son, after the world as we know it has ended and they are some of the last people on earth. I loved the innate goodness of the boy, whereas the man has become jaded and suspicious, yet the boy remains compassionate and hopeful. Their relationship is quite beautiful and pure and the man does the best he can to protect the boy from the harsh realities that surround them. It does end up happily, in a way, and overall, I was pleased. My only complaint would be that McCarthy doesn't really give you any background information about them, and you're never sure why all the other people died. Nuclear bomb? Plague? What gives?

No comments: